How many recessed light fixtures?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffmattero76

Reaction score
Hello:
I am not sure if this is the correct area to post this, but I was unable to find a lighting plan forum. Admin, please feel free to move if necessary.

I am currently rehabbing one of my rental properties. The ceiling is completely open and I want to run recessed lights. The room measures 18' x 20'. These will be 5 inch cans with 65 watt equivalent LED "bulbs" (actually LED modules) that came with the Halo cans. I am thinking I need 6 to get adequate coverage, but others think that is too many. These will be in two rows of 3 (if 6 is the correct #) or 2 rows of 2 (if 4 is the correct #). Any insight???

What will the room occupancy be?

IE., dining, living, den, etc.

Thanks.

I'd use 6 and be able to dim them.

Things that can affect the general lighting are the tone of the furnishings, ceiling height as well as wall and floor finishes.

On the LED lights, you need to check the compatibility between the dimmer and the light. I installed a bunch of these (link below) and used a LED compatible dimmer, one that was allegedly compatible with the fixture and the lights strobed at any setting less than full. It might have worked with fewer lights, I'm not sure, as I recall I had a dozen lights, wattage wise they were way below the rating for the dimmer. I have 7 LED PAR lights in cans in my bonus room and they dim just fine.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerc...D-Disk-Light-1-Pack-DL-N19A11FR1-27/300049132

On the LED lights, you need to check the compatibility between the dimmer and the light. I installed a bunch of these (link below) and used a LED compatible dimmer, one that was allegedly compatible with the fixture and the lights strobed at any setting less than full. It might have worked with fewer lights, I'm not sure, as I recall I had a dozen lights, wattage wise they were way below the rating for the dimmer. I have 7 LED PAR lights in cans in my bonus room and they dim just fine.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerc...D-Disk-Light-1-Pack-DL-N19A11FR1-27/300049132
Thanks for that info. I have Halo brand with included Halo LED modules. 4 pack at the orange big box for $70. I have had that compatability in the past. Now, I only use the Lutron Maestros. No problems so far.

Also as per placement you want them to be relatively equidistant and 4 feet from each other (or a wall) for best effect (assuming 8' high ceilings, if 10' ceilings spacing should be 5'). This shouldn't be a problem in an 18'x20'.

Back