Re-Screening a Florida Pool Cage/Lanai

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulie2018

Reaction score
I'm fairly sure these don't exist, but I have a question about re-screening a Florida pool cage/lanai (or for that matter a pool cage/lanai in any other State....lol). I have some screens I need to replace (I have miserably been there, done that a few other times), now since I have so many lower screens that need to be replaced I'm wondering if there are tools or other things that can hold the screen in place square & taught once cut so my hands are free to roll in the spline. My wingspan can't get the screen square, in place, & run the spline at the same time. Does anyone know of any such tool or tools other than calling "the guy" to be able to do this myself.....DIY?

Thank you in advance for steering me in the right direction!!!

Sounds like you are trying to do it with the screens still in place.
Leave the screen big and staple the other side to a board and stand it close to where you need it and do your first side.

I've done screening with Screen Tight in the past. With fiberglass screening, I would secure the top and one side by rolling in the proper size spline. It works best with two people, though I'm sure an experienced installer can do it by themselves. Then pulling on the side I'd work my way down to the bottom and then across the bottom. With two people on a large screen, you have one person tug at the open corner while you put the spline in. If you pull it tight enough the spline should make it wrinkle free and taut.

Good morning all,
I posted this question a few days ago to see what might be out in the DIY market for persons who want/need to replace pool cage/lanai screens & even storm door screens. As I thought there is no certain tool/appliance to assist in holding the new screen square & in place once cut to fit other than calling a friend to assist or actually calling a screening guy (the guy) to do the job for you.

I went to the drawing board to try to figure out what kind of tool/appliance could be made for the DIY market. I do believe that I have come up with an idea to make re-screening easier for the homeowner.

My question now is, if such a tool/appliance were made available to the market, would there be an interest to purchase to assist with your next re-screening job?

Thank you for your feedback.......Paulie2018

Walk thru any hardware store. There are always new and improved tools of the trade. And people making money selling them. DIYers are a strange lot as they will buy a $20 tool they only will use every 10 years that will save them a little work or help them do a better job and then hang it on a hook until a neighbor comes and borrows it.

One of the best tricks I ever saw to screen windows was to do them two at a timeset the two windows end to end on a flat floor and attach the screen to one of the ends of one of the windows. Then take the other end of the other window and set it up on a couple bricks or a 4x4 and attach that end. Now take the blocks out and when the screen goes back flat it pulls the screen very tight. Now attach all the rest of the sides and lastly cut the screen between the two windows. This was back in the wood frame window days when screen was stapled not sure how it would work with the rubber strips.

Latest posts

Back