smell in island water

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsjoiner

Reaction score
He recently had an ice maker installed in our kitchen island. The island itself has a small sink that we've never had any problems with. Since the install of the ice machine, the water from the spigot smells terrible. After trying to trouble shoot the problem over the last few months, I'm tired of beating my head against the wall, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

The ice maker water line was installed by disconnecting the water line to the sink, and for lack of a better description, a silver metal "t" was installed. The drain line from the ice maker was installed to a pcv tube under the sink, before the p trap that looks like one our dishwasher is connected to under the main kitchen sink. To me, nothing looks out of place.

The ice from the maker, has no bad smell, nor taste. You can get a cupfull, let it sit until it melts and no smell. Turn on the spigot to get a glass of water and the smell is terrible - doesn't smell like sulfur, just bad, and the water in the sink seems to drain o.k.

Anyone have and ideas or directions to send me in? This has been a problem for the last couple of months, and I'm at a loss. Thanks in advance for any help!

Hello DS:
I will try not to ramble so much this time. The only thing that has changed on the water spigot is the silver tee. That must be the problem.
These fittings should be compression type so, there should not be any joint compound or soldering flux in the line.
Glenn

Glenn, 2 for 2, thanks once again. The silver tee is the screw on type. Is there a different model available?

Hello DSJoiner:
A screw on tee might have some joint compound inside it causing the odor and a bad taste. You can take it apart, clean it and reinstall it with teflon tape rather than joint coumpound. You may also need to clean the tube to the spigot to rid it of the odor.
Glenn

Latest posts

Back