Bedroom in the Basement

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill.Mac

Reaction score
Hi, (first post!)

I'm looking for some advice. I want to put a office off of my finished basement that will be used as a bedroom. The area where I want the room will be right next to our oil furnace.

What kind of precautions do I need to take when placing a wall next to the furnace? The furnace will still have its own space, but the room will be adjacent to it.

Thanks for your advice!

- Bill

You should have an egress window for safety in any bedroom in a basement.

Dick

Check with the local dudes to see if it's Ok if you have a septic system.

You will also need some air for that furnace to run once you close in that space. Contact your heating guy to help with some answers.If you don't you may...may run into the furnace not running properly and costing you a bit to fix it later...in the middle of winter.:eek:

One more thing is the noise in the "sound asleep" part of the night....insulate that wall to keep the level a little lower.
Hope this helps.:D

Hi, (first post!)

I'm looking for some advice. I want to put a office off of my finished basement that will be used as a bedroom. The area where I want the room will be right next to our oil furnace.

What kind of precautions do I need to take when placing a wall next to the furnace? The furnace will still have its own space, but the room will be adjacent to it.

Thanks for your advice!

- Bill
Definatly check on codes here as Inpectord has mentioned. I would think they will want that wall with 5/8 fireguard but if it were me I would insulate the furnace room wall and apply 5/8 fireguard and I would build another wall with 1/2 space and again 5/8 fireguard. This help with noise and also fire

Back