Pulling in a beam

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willinsotex

Reaction score
Hey guys-

I am working on an old farmhouse my wife and I bought and moved to our place a few years back. At some point, either during the move, or otherwise, the beam across the back of the house was dislodged. It is bowed out right in the middle of the house about 4 inches. I am thinking of sistering onto the long runners under the house (about 6 of them) and running 8" lag screws through the beam, into the runners and slowly tightening them up to pull the beam back in.
Thoughts? Criticisms? Ideas?
Want to get this done before I start placing jacks to level the whole thing out. Our house mover did a POOR job and the ground here in South Texas rolls like the Gulf.

Thanks in advance,

Will

Welcome to the site.
Just a few questions like, What is the beam solid wood, man made, steel and what are the demensions and length. Was the beam new at time of move, what is the beam sitting on.

Well, Neal and I love the hard ones . . . Can you post some pictures to help explain the problem? Once I see the framing, it will be easier to give you better advice.

Oh, welcome!

Relying on lag screws of any kind to straighten any beam that's 4" out-of-true is not a good idea. The bolts' threads will let go, and pull completely out of the beam. Far better to use come-alongs/large C-clamps to grab and pull on.

Back