Difference between "baseboards" and "moulding"

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panzerfaust0

Reaction score
newbie question. What is the difference between baseboards and moulding?

thanks

A molding trims out around a door, window and is usually smaller dimension material. A base board runs along the area where the wall meets the floor.

A molding trims out around a door, window and is usually smaller dimension material. A base board runs along the area where the wall meets the floor.
thanks for the reply, and not to disagree with you but i thought that thing that trims out around a door is called a door casing?

A door casing is a type of molding, so is baseboard.

i see. so a baseboard IS a moulding. but a more specific type of it.

so when people say "moulding", are they referring to the part that's in between the ceiling and the wall? sorry i just really want to know what "moulding" specifically refers to.

between ceiling and wall is know as Crown moulding.
Moulding is a generic term.

so when people say "moulding", are they referring to the part that's in between the ceiling and the wall? sorry i just really want to know what "moulding" specifically refers to.

Moulding is a general term. When "people" say moulding, it depends on who you are talking to as to what they mean. I think most folks who know nothing about it probably mean crown molding and sometimes door casings... Kinda like saying "get me a soda" when you mean "Get me a Coke".

Last edited:
The outside edge of casing is usually eased or rounded over. The bottom edge of base is usually square, so it sits down tight to hard surface flooring.

Back