Replacing 6 X 6 Timbers with Concrete...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorPlan

Reaction score
:help: We have a number of Walkways that were Laid using 6 X 6 Timbers as both Border and Support holding the Interlocking Stone in place.. Problem now is the timbers have rotted..Solution now is to replace with Cement..

:hide: Having said all that, I'm drawing a blank figuring out the formula on how many Bags of Cement I'd need...I have a total of 4 strips for a total of 230"L X 5" H X 5" W .... I plan on using masonite strips to form a solid wall on the weak side ie: Grass & Sand....:). Cheers. Thanks...

19x.42x.42=3.35 cubic feet, 80# bag is .66 cubic feet 3.35/.66= 5.08 bags

5/12 x 5/12 x 230= cubic feet the cheepest 1x4 or 6" shiplap is what I would use

Last edited:
5/12 x 5/12 x 230=39.9 cubic feet

5/12 x 5/12 x 230/12=3.35 cubic feet

:p

Give your head a shake and start over, then tell us why you devided the ft to inches.
39.9 sounds about right
And now that I read it again, I see it is inches. oops

Last edited:
For 5"x5"x230", you will need .12 yds. of concrete as follows:

40# bags = 11
60# bags = 8
80# bags = 6

The calculator has never let me down so far.

Give your head a shake and start over, then tell us why you devided the ft to inches.
39.9 sounds about right
And now that I read it again, I see it is inches. oops

Shaking my head hurts. To many stones rolling around.

I once had a maint guy come in and ask me to figure his driveway. His wife had ordered the mix for the next day after taking many measurements of his forms. She came up with 76 yards needed. I came up with 9 yards. Normally that wouldn't have been a problem but she was the head of the math dept at PSU and written several calculus books. He was in a pickle. Fortunately the guy at the plant questioned it and sent someone out to make sure and found her math error.

Just a smudge over 5 bags I say. Buy 6 to be sure and then let it harden up in the corner of the garage. That's what I always do.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

Slightly off topic, but if it were mine I would fix I length of rebar in the center of your forms. 5x5 is not much cross section setting above the frost line. The bar will keep it together when it cracks.

With bigger pours I form a pad some place useful with one side loose for any extra and then close it in when I see what I have left over.

Shaking my head hurts. To many stones rolling around.
Just a smudge over 5 bags I say. Buy 6 to be sure and then let it harden up in the corner of the garage. That's what I always do.

:hide: :agree: @ just under $4.00 a bag....I'll go with that :)

I will add that to my list of things to remember. Two spades equal one smudge. By the way a smudge equals a smidge that really isn't a word in iPhone land. Smidgen is though.

Glad I could help.

I will add that to my list of things to remember. Two spades equal one smudge. By the way a smudge equals a smidge that really isn't a word in iPhone land. Smidgen is though.

Glad I could help.

:clap: Speaking of a Smudge More and definitely way more than a Smidgen...On the subject of pouring cement..We have a couple strips from a previous job maybe 2 inches deep...The Wife would like to level off and smooth out the ripples so as to prevent people from tripping....Can we safely add cement to the existing cement surface or would I have lay down some kinda additive to make the new cement adhere..:help:

Back