Best flooring for a garage?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s-one

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm going through cleaning out a 3 car garage with bare cement floors. I'm looking to man cave one portion of the garage and was looking for some good ideas on the best flooring to use. Whichever it is I'm going to put it on the entire 3 car part.. not just the one car side.

Kind regards,
s-one

gotogregg, I have seen you on other forums. I know you work for HD. You are not supposed to advertise here.

I used Rustoleum Epoxy and it turned out well. The kit comes with a citric acid to etch the existing surface, and this is the most critical step. If you don't etch properly, the epoxy will not bind. I also added additional sand and more chips for really good traction, and has held up great with a "no slip" finish for the last year. Below is a few pics of my floor.

001.jpg

Garage & Shed Pics (23).jpg

The first day is spent clearing out the garage and disconnecting the sink. Then the floor is washed up good with detergent, and finally adding the citric acid etching. After a few rinses, the garage is squeegeed (sp) out, and allowed to dry.

Second day (actually about an hour) is rolling on the epoxy, after prepping the walls.

Third day it's ready to walk on and reinstall the appliances, then depending on the warmth..

Fourth day drive on it.

OK great! I really appreciate both your ideas. I'll look into which would work for us but I think we could go either way. Yes, we are going to put a couch or two, chairs, tv, a little bar and fridge. Havasu that looks great! Thanks for posting the pics.

Thanks for the compliments. I know the professionally installed epoxy is sturdier, but at $3000 versus $120, I'll take my chances.

Gregg, your links go to H.D. What part of "NO ADS" do you have trouble with, maybe I can help you......

Gary

Gregg popped up on several DIY forums advertising for HD. I assume they pay him to do this. He has been removed from some of the forums.

I personally don't have a problem with this. He is still providing ideas to help the homeowner, and although the picture is from a company he works for, it is still a visual reference for the homeowner.

If you allow one to advertise for free, where does it stop? I own a business, should I run ads for it in my posts?

I agree it is a slippery slope. My thoughts would be different if he was actually Mr. HD, and was padding his wallet directly. This young man probably works for minimum wage (only an assumption, nothing more) and is using the resources of the store he works at to provide a valuable asset to DIY'ers.

Also, no offense, but it appears the biggest grumblers would be a small mom and pop store who are probably selling this same product for twice the amount of money as a "big box" store, who are in fact lining their own pockets with profits made with their business links in the signatures at the bottom of their posts.

We all know the economy sucks right now, and money is tighter than ever. I have no loyalty to HD, and as a matter of fact, most of my purchases come from his direct competition, being Lowe's. It pays to shop around for the best prices possible. :beer:

I apologize to all for expressing my opinion, but believe it needed to be said!

Back