Cutting Floor Joist in Timber Frame

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhhaley

Reaction score
Hello,
My house is 1788 Timber Frame. In an effort to make better use of some unused space in the house someone mentioned that it might be possible to lower the floor of hallway that sits above an empty space over a fireplace. In order to do so, we would have to cut two floor joists.

The floor joists seem to connect two tie beams. I am considering using a come along or some other cable to maintain the support offered by the floor joists. Does anyone have any experience with this type of problem? Can you give me any advice about whether I should move forward with the plan? Any advice for when I do start work?

Thanks everyone,

John

I would contact someone familiar with old post and beam framing in your area. It could get dangerous, and costly to fix.
From here anyone is guessing at best. Not that we can't answer, and I'm sure someone will. But you want better advice than that for this.
Oh, and :welcome:

Thank guys. That's what I was thinking, but I figure the more I know going into it the better.

Back