Please help rewire a two-arm sconce

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lodgeskins

Reaction score
Hi, I purchased a two arm sconce that had the wires removed, and I am having trouble wiring it correctly. I have tried wiring it two different ways. The first way I destroyed my dimmer switch (it made a loud pop and now doesn't work), and the second way there was a spark coming from the sconce somewhere. When I connect a single sconce it works fine, so I assume I am doing something wrong still. Can anyone point me towards a diagram showing how a two arm sconce should be wired? I have googled and googled some more with no luck...

I will attempt to describe what I did each time in the event that the information is useful:

Try #1) I ran wire to each of the candle receivers, wire nutted the neutrals together with the white from the box, and did the same with the three hots. Commence big pop from dimmer switch

Try #2) tried to make one big loop; hot from box to one side of one of the bulb sockets. then ran a wire from the other side of that socket to one side of socket #2. Connected second side of socket #2 to the neutral from the box. Thought I was going to be good to go with this set up, but sparks flew.

I appreciate any help (description or just a link to a diagram).

Thanks,
Mike

Your try #1 sounds like it should have worked. Check for a dead short, wire touching ground. There shoulod be burn marks at source of sparks. Nuetral to the side of fixture that the bulb screws into.

Thank you for the response. I figured it out; it was a really stupid mistake on my part. The candle stick receivers have height adjustment screws on both sides that I was attaching my wires to. The correct screws were hidden under a small cardboard sleeve at the tip of the socket, just below the threaded part. I've never used this style before... live and learn!

Back