vinyl siding bulged

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qmqmqm

Reaction score
Hi there.

A section of the siding at my 8-year old house is bulged. It only happens in this one section. I've noticed it since I started living in this house 3 years ago. The bulging shape stays the same all year round.

In the enclosed pictures, hopefully you can see the wavy pattern.

There is a house right next to mine, so I think the chance of any big wind hitting that wall is pretty small.

Does anyone know if it's a big deal, and if I should get it fixed?

Can I install down pipes over the siding (screwing through it), or should I fix the siding first?

Thanks in advance!

Paul

20150603_132409.jpg

20150603_132515.jpg

20150603_132551.jpg

Pickup a siding "Zip" tools and separate the seams. Re-nail the siding using roofing nails and don't drive the nail flat. Leave about an 1/8". Check for other areas that are nailed to tight. You want the siding to be able to move in the nail slots. Place the nail in the center of the slot. Easy fix if you have some ladders, scaffold or a friend with some.

Could be many things.
Nailed to tight.
Not nailed in the center of the oval nail hole.
To short a nail (should be 1-1-1/4)
Cut to long so there's no room to expand.
It was not locked in fully when it got nailed, (hope that's not it because all the siding above that point would have to be removed to make it come out right.
If there's just Celotex under it they may have missed the studs and once again used to short a nail. (should have been at least a 2" nail.)

Back