Heat Pump Problem

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big G

Reaction score
I live in CT and have a heat pump system that is approx 15 years old. When the system runs in the AC mode it blows warm air. I ran the system in the heat mode for about 10 minutes and it blew warm air (I think the temp was what it normally is in the heat mode) I shut it down and let it sit for about 10 minutes. I then ran it in the AC mode again and it still blew warm air. Before I call a repairman, is there anything I can do/check to see if the reversing valve is working properly? OR Determine if the thermostat is operating properly? OR does the system need to recharged? And if so how do I find the leak? OR what else should/ can I do?

Welcome Big G:
You could open the outdoor unit and look at the wiring diagram inside to locate the reversing valve. Make sure the wires are connected to the reversing valve properly and try it in each mode to see if it changes. If the unit still heats in cold weather it should cool in warm weather. While you are in there, check all the wiring to make sure an end hasn't burned off or corroded badly.
Glenn

Back