Plexi, Acrylic, or Glass

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John the builder

Reaction score
I am in the last stages of completing my shower (7x5) and I'm now looking at what to use for the enclosure (frameless). Tempered Glass is going to cost me $3700.....OUCH!! I have also been looking at Plexi, Acrylic, and Lexan. All of these in 1/2 inch sheets are still less than the tempered glass by a couple thousand. I probably don't need them that thick but I know I can get it. The glass was going to be 3/8 thick....I'm guessing I could use the same thickness with the other materials.

Has anyone here used custom cut Plexi, Acrylic, or Lexan for a shower enclosure? Can you speak on durability and how hard is it to keep clean?

Welcome John:
I haven't used the materials on a shower but I do have some experience with them. They all scratch easier than glass and they are subject to clouding or discoloring and the more you try to clean it the worse it gets. Picture the headlight lens in a car that's 10 years old.
I know the tempered glass is expensive but better permanent than sorry.
Glenn

Spend the money and get the tempered. All the others will scratch really easy and look terrible in a short time.

Do this, go to your local home repair center or window place, and get a small peice of plexi, lexan, acrylic, your choice. Take it home. Take the plastic off the glass and start wiping it aggressively with a wet rag, let it dry and sit out for a day or two, then do it again. Keep doing this for a weeks or so, and that is exactly how your shower will look in less than a few months, if you clean it regularly. Trust me, NOT pretty.

Do yourself a favor and go with the good stuff, you wont regret it. Im in the same boat, just got my quote for maple floors...:eek:

As for the shower I guess that will be on the wish list for a little while. I guess I can go ahead in put in the 6x5 picture window....that won't cost me.:D

I know what you mean about the wood floors...I just finished my kitchen and master suite in maple from lumber liquidators. Installed it all myself...no fun!! make sure you use knee pads...Cost $1400:eek:

lumber liquidators you say...what price did you give per sq/ft of materials. My quote was $3100 for a 12x20 room, but there will be 12 50lb bags of self leveling compound in the mix there also, and the labor to lay it.

Did you glue down your wood, nail it, or was it floating?

1.99 a square foot, got it on sale. The original price was 2.99. I nailed it all down. Floor was pretty level.. went in really easy....the thing about putting in a wood floor is about 3 hours into it you look at your progress and just shake your head in disbelief that you have only done maybe a 5% of the room (if it's a big room and your using 2 inch wide planks.):eek:

Back