switching transformer hum normal?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mstar

Reaction score
I have an older furnance with a Honeywell RA 89a 1074 switching transformer that has a loud hum at times at other times a low hum
When I hear the loud hum the system still works and if I turn off the power switch and turn it back on , the hum changes most the time.
It will usually get quieter. Sometimes tapping the box will change it.

The loud hum is more frequent but not consistant. It is hard to tell if the transformer or relay is humming

Does this loud hum mean the unit should be replaced? Are there any servicable parts or do you replace the entire unit.

Thanks.

We normally replace the hole control. But a person can replace just a transformer.
All transformer will hum. A lot of times you can be 6' away and hear them. If they are in a control box they can get a vibration going which will sound loader. This does not mean that you have to replace it. Later Paul

Thanks. since I have two db levels of hum I would say one is abnormal.
I am assuming you are saying these can go a long time with a loud hum and still work.
Still it is annoying to hear it through the floor in the basement late at night

And why does flipping the power on and off temporarily fix the louder hum?

Thanks. since I have two db levels of hum I would say one is abnormal.
I am assuming you are saying these can go a long time with a loud hum and still work.
Still it is annoying to hear it through the floor in the basement late at night

Don't know?? I could try to BS you but i won't. Later Paul

Back