Cast iron stand....what is it?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edselsouth1

Reaction score
I was given this cast iron stand by a friend who was disposing of some stuff on the farm. Anyone tell me what it is, and it's use. It looks like there is also supposed to be another "something" on the very top (see last two pics). There's a big nut on the underside of the top. I plan to use it as a plant stand in the garden, but just would like to know what it is. Thanks, David.

cast iron stand 8-13-16 001.jpg

cast iron stand 8-13-16 002.jpg

cast iron stand 8-13-16 003.jpg

cast iron stand 8-13-16 004.jpg

cast iron stand 8-13-16 006.jpg

cast iron stand 8-13-16 005.jpg

In addition, the two arms are supposed to be able to rotate and be fastened in a desired position. Got to get them freed up yet. David.

I have been informed that this base is from a DeLaval cream separator from the early 1900's. The two shelves are called adjustable pail shelves. There is a lot more to this item, namely the separator part. From pictures gleaned from the internet, this is a very large machine. Guessing it would be hard to locate any additional parts to this thing. David.

I think you are correct. Whole milk was poured in the large bowl on the top you don’t have and a hand crank was turned and cream came out into a container sitting on one of the stands and skim milk the other.

It would be hard to locate all the parts unless your friend had them in with the same junk he was getting rid of.

It is really nice you have it and it should make a great garden piece.

Chapter-13_html_2c72bd17.jpg

Assuming you are not going to reassemble the whole thing, go ahead and treat any rust then paint it something like rustic red and set it outside. it will make a great planter.

Bud16415, slownsteady.............. Thanks for your replies. Bud thanks for the excellent picture. Assuming that I am not able to locate any further parts for this base, I have sandblasted it, primed it, and finished it with spray on truck bedliner. After a few days drying time, I'm going to put some gold lettering on it, and display it in the front garden. David.

cast iron stand 8-14-16 002.jpg

Will do. I'm going to TRY to freehand the lettering and scroll work. These old hands aren't as steady as they used to be. David.

:thumbup: cant wait to see the finished project. bed liner was a great idea.

We've made corn bread on a sheet of cast iron, but it had those small individual cut-out places that you poured the batter into. It was delicious and always turned out. Is this what you mean?

I just repaired the platforms, sandblasted the entire stand, primed and painted it with black truck bed lining. The stand now resides in my front garden area. Not going to look for any more parts for the stand. I'll just put a couple of flower pots on it for decoration.

Back