Some questions about finish nailing?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerjohn1324

Reaction score
For baseboards, door casing, etc.

I know there are many different types, ranging from pin nailers, to brad nailers, to finish nailers. If I were to choose ONE GAUGE, should I pick 15? Thinking that it will mostly be used for baseboards and door/window trim? But I also have a 4x8 piece of wood paneling to put over drywall that I noticed finishing nails in when I removed the old panel.

When installing, do I have to drive nails into studs? Or does it just secure to the drywall? (For baseboards, door/window casing, and this panel).

Also, I bought some 4D finish nails, Grip Rite brand, and don't see a gauge description on them. How do I know what gun they would work in?

Is it possible to do this stuff with a hammer?

Do you recommend straight nailer or angled nailer?

Thanks.

Nails come in clips or rolls for guns and yes you can do it with a hammer. All I have is pin nailler for the small stuff. It takes nails that are I think 18 ga. with length from 5/8 to 2". With a panel over drywall I would use that and toe nail the nails so they don.t slide back out. Toe nailing is just like those picture hangers with the nail on an angle.

Nails come in clips or rolls for guns and yes you can do it with a hammer. All I have is pin nailler for the small stuff. It takes nails that are I think 18 ga. with length from 5/8 to 2". With a panel over drywall I would use that and toe nail the nails so they don.t slide back out. Toe nailing is just like those picture hangers with the nail on an angle.

Disregard this post.

I found all the answers on Google and YouTube.

Last edited:
I use 2" for that kind of stuff straight in if I know where the studs are and on an angle the rest of the time. You have to hold would in tight befor you nail as it will no go in after.
Others that use finish nailers will be along so wait and Liston to their stories.

I use a 15 gauge angled finish nailer on all my trim.
An angled nail gun can get in tighter areas.
For paneling I use Loctite Power Grab adhesive and color matched panel nails or my Narrow crown pneumatic staple gun.
A brad nail has no head so it has little holding power, only time I use one is if I'm just tacking something in place that's being glued to keep it from moving.
Anything "can" be hand nailed, but why would you if you have a nail gun?
Not fun trying to hold a piece of trim, a nail, and a hammer at the same time, and more often than not your going to end up leaving a mark on the wood at some point.

Back