Can I paint carpet?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DenisTheThief

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got 10 year old carpet in the home. It's a light color. They are some stains that won't come out.

Obviously I should replace it. Hopefully that's going to happen

In the meantime. I was wondering if I could apply paint or some kind of dye to it? Not a great idea, I'll admit - but could be an improvement. I could match the color pretty well and add some thinner.

Too dye for, is your option.

Even thinned paint will be adverse to bare feet, and crunchy with shoes.

OK OK, I got it. I'm not disagreeing with anyone. But I'm not made of money either.

Normally the stained wore out area is by a door or in one area. If that is the case and no one is more frugal than me. I would just remove the bad location and put in a more durable product for now with a transition strip.

Also have you tried a professional cleaning service. They can do wonders.

Also have you tried a professional cleaning service. They can do wonders.

No - maybe I should. We had rented a carpet cleaner from the supermarket some years ago. It cleaned the carpet. But did little to improve the stains.

Where are the stains and how big are they?

Starting with a small stain in an inconspicuous location, you might try scrubbing a diluted bleach solution onto it. Even if the stain doesn't "disappear", just turning it a lighter color it might make it way less noticeable, which fits my definition a temporary solution until you can afford to actually replace the carpet.

Or depending on the location, maybe you could move furniture over it or put a rug over it. That's also a temporary solution obviously.

If your heart is set on dying your carpet, might as well match the dye to the stain and do the whole thing! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey,

No, I wouldn't recommend you paint your carpet. It could end up looking worse than it is now. I'd just remove the carpet and get a new type of flooring or buy a new carpet.

I've spray-painted automotive carpet and it did well enough, but needed renewal every 6 months or so. Home carpet gets a lot more wear so it wouldn't work there. Till you can replace it, drop some accent rugs where there's wear or staining, or move a piece of furniture over the spots. Sometimes moving the furniture around will do the trick and the price for that can't be beat.

Phil

Back