Opening up my kitchen, partially removing wall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are generally stacked and pressure glued dimensional lumber, and can withstand a lot more stress than dimensional lumber.

I was more curious to see if and how things have/had changed/evolved to meet earthquake standards, because even in the same counties, measures can vary.

The beam is typical of CA, and exactly what I've done in the past.

Does the permit continue through the kitchen remodel?

Not sure what the beam is? Doesn’t look laminated but 1 solid beam? Will there be evidence of it being laminated? When I hear that term I think of 2 or more pieces and seams?
You are thinking about LVLs but beams come in all kinds of material like micro lams come in all one pieces sizes just like gluelam beams.

Glue lams are 2x?? stacked and glued really popular in the 60s

micro lam are made out of slivers left over from the plywood industry.

I seem to be having problems with pictures but google them.

Last edited:
Well, my contractor said these don’t need straps where they end. They have joist hangers throughout and are screwed to the post at the ends. My father in law, who is a retired carpenter, and general, said they should have ‘end cap support straps’?? The contractor insists these are for exterior corners and walls? Now I’m confused. He’s done a lot of these and even called somebody and they also confirmed it doesn’t need them

Last edited:
Well, my contractor said these don’t need straps where they end. They have joist hangers throughout and are screwed to the post at the ends. My father in law, who is a retired carpenter, and general, said they should have ‘end cap support straps’?? The contractor insists these are for exterior corners and walls? Now I’m confused. He’s done a lot of these and even called somebody and they also confirmed it doesn’t need them
Seldom called for on the interior but have seen some goofy things done for seismic needs.
If it is getting inspected, don't worry about it.

You're contractor is correct.

I've only strapped flush headers when they occur in the middle of an wall length, as a continuation of the shear that wall inherently functions as, or if there is a short length over the load bearing point.

I feel a bit better now, not sure how to tell my father in law(as I’m no contractor) but I value all of your input and trust it. I trust my father in law as well and I know he’s just looking out for us. I trust the contractor as well! �� I’m not going to lose sleep over it. I just want it done correct.

I feel a bit better now, not sure how to tell my father in law(as I’m no contractor) but I value all of your input and trust it. I trust my father in law as well and I know he’s just looking out for us. I trust the contractor as well! �� I’m not going to lose sleep over it. I just want it done correct.
It is always better to ask, a good contractor wants to get it right, inspectors are looking for mistakes and sometimes that goes the other way.
We had one where the engineer forgot to call for a beam and we just put the biggest one that would fit in the space. When he did his inspection he said I didn't think the beam was big enough. When he checked the engineered plans he came back and he looked it ever and could see nothing bigger would fit. He just walked away and looked at other stuff.

There is a logic that follows the east and midwest transplants where sidings are the norm and the variety of end caps followed thru the species of wood which best fit the environment, as well as the grade of lumber some of the 3 and 4 part headers were composed of.

Stucco, dimensional headers and piece work became an eventuality.

The west coast was in and of itself, it's own "melting pot" in the transition of sidings, lap, clapboard, asbestos and stucco, to name a few.

Moving right along, contractors spent the day prepping the walls, texturing and I had to relocate the gas line running to the attic space for the furnace. Nice to have the heat back! Filter was BAD after running it with all the dust. ACE had a ‘buy 2, get 1 free’ deal so I anticipate replacing it again when it’s all finished. Cabinets are arriving today too!��

So, how are you planning to vent your food preparation appliance, or did you switch to electric?

Pardon the mess :) the table is not where it will be. The range will be about 3-4’ from the corner behind that China cabinet. It will have a microwave vent above and to the outside.

maxdad3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You should really look for professional help about venting the kitchen. I recommend xxx for that. They're professional contractors who had help me with remodeling my whole kitchen. They do some of the most amazing work I've ever seen!

Last edited by a moderator:
You should really look for professional help about venting the kitchen. I recommend xxx for that. They're professional contractors who had help me with remodeling my whole kitchen. They do some of the most amazing work I've ever seen!
This is a site for people who want to do the work themselves.

This is a site for people who want to do the work themselves.

Yep they do their work and then take the money they make and give it to XXX and then they do the work for them. It is called cutting in the middle man. New type of DIY.

Their toll free # goes directly to an answering service, so they are hiding under their desk.

Back