Kitchen fluorescent lighting

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5rob5

Reaction score
I have an 80s home with the recessed fluorescent lighting box in the kitchen ceiling. The box dimensions are 6'x6' and 9inches deep with four 2 light fixtures. Three of the lights run side by side with one at the end running the opposite way. I really dislike the oak trim and the plastic diffusers. I would really appreciate any lighting ideas so I can get rid of the current stuff. Thanks in advance for any help.
Rob

Been there ... done that ... lose the boxes by reframing and installing recessed lighting. You will get a sense of added head height, better lighting, and a more modern look.

Here is a pic from a project I did ... the heavy skip trowel and bullnose edges matched the entire house ... The recessed light over the sink is a single bulb light fixture that had not existed. In addition, I pre-wired the kitchen for under-cabinet LED task lighting. Turn out really magnificent and added to the updating of the rest of the house.

kitchen ceiling.jpg

Last edited:
Back