Tiling onto Metal?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CallMeVilla

Reaction score
Here is the challenge: Outdoor upscale BBQ has tiled counter and tile on the vertical from lip. (See pic 1) The counter is built of a welded steel tubing frame with Hardie board on the top surface but none on the vertical 2" lip. The lip tile was just thinsetted to the metal tubing.

With time and exposure, rust caused the thinset to fail and the tiles to fall off. (See pic 2) The challenge is to replace the lip tiles more securely.

My solution? Strip all tile, grind off all rust with an angle grinder. Apply a bead of polyurethan construction adhesive to the metal, smearing it into a film on the metal. (Pic 3) Using a stick, I tapped the adhesive creating sharp peaks as if you were frosting a cake. When the adhesive dried, there was a solid tooth for the thinset.

Used 1"x4" guide board, clamped to the lip, so the tiles would be perfectly straight. Applied tiles using modified thinset, grouted, then sealed all the grout lines (new and old) twice using sealer. (Pic 4)

Island Front 1.jpg

Tile - RUST 3.jpg

Tile - Glue 1.JPG

Tile - Clamp 1.JPG

Tile - Done 2.JPG

Looks like it should hold up better than the origional install.

But, if you would of invited us all over for a BBQ and swim party, we could have helped...:beer:

Well..as I read your post...that is exactly how I would have done it...sounds like it should be fine. Let us know in 10 years!!:rofl:

San Diego in December ... 74 degrees, crystal blues skies, low humidity. Water in the pool is heated with solar. They had prime rib on the BBQ ... Sucks to live here ...

San Diego in December ... 74 degrees, crystal blues skies, low humidity. Water in the pool is heated with solar. They had prime rib on the BBQ ... Sucks to live here ...

Yeah...I bet... I have been to San Diego...back when they were rebuilding the aquarium on the water... It was wonderful. Feels like about 8 years ago...I'm sure the weather has not changed.:rofl: Eating at the ol lamp district was really good. al fresco. :beer:

Did you paint the metal with something to prevent the rust from coming back, if the glue could be trusted to do that, did you cover all the exposed steel? If the thinset touches the dteel you can expect the same result in about the same time frame.

Back