The sump pump from the black lagoon

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJHovel

Reaction score
What needs to happen with this sump pump? Obviously the pump itself needs to be replaced. I will have a plumber do that. But the whole set up is bad. I know a sump pump is a functional item, yet I don't want the way it looks to scare off potential buyers if we ever sell.

I don't even know what the options are.
Eventually we will install French drains and have the basement professionally waterproofed. Not in the cards financially right now. It's a basement out of horror movies. Very wet, like many in this area. In the mean time I'd like to address the sump pump setup. See photo. It is very old. The house was a rental for years, and the owners put little money into it.

The hose that you see comes from the dehumidifier.

image.jpg

There should be a check valve on the discharge pipe.
Replace the check valve (good insurance for the price ~$8).
Remove the pump & pipe from the crock.
Clean out the bottom of the crock.
Inspect the bottom.
You may elect to make it a bit deeper but, keep in mind you may have to add to the length of the discharge pipe.
If the crock bottom won't come clean, you can either lay a thin patio block in the bottom to set the new pump on, or mix up some hydraulic cement and pour a clean bottom.
If you really want to get industrious, you could remove the old metal casing and install a newer pvc casing & lid.
Unscrew the remaining pvc pipe from the old pump.
Apply Teflon tape to the threads of the old pump pipe.
Screw it into the new pump outlet (it appears you won't need any reducers included with the new pump).
Install the new check valve.
Plug the new pump into the outlet.

Thank you, kok328! Now I know what the hole which houses the sump pump is called. Believe it or not, the pump made it through Sandy and Irene (with a little help from a generator.) I'm considering getting a battery backup for the next one, if affordable.

If your not on a well system you could hook up a water powered sump pump for emergencies.

Back