Branch trimming

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newtda

Reaction score
I am wanting to to trim some branches on the darker pine tree, If I trim the branches will the tree be at any harm? Also how far up should I trim the branches? Sorry about the Picture be side ways.

IMG_20140526_204330.jpg

Last edited:
It will not harm the tree. As for how far up to go, that is an aesthetic decision. I would not take any more off than necessary. BTW, why do you need to trim it in the first place?

It will not harm the tree. As for how far up to go, that is an aesthetic decision. I would not take any more off than necessary. BTW, why do you need to trim it in the first place?

Want trim due to Grass not growing and just trying to clean up the place

You won’t hurt the tree making it into a trunk tree. Even after trimming grass will not grow well under a pine.

First rule of tree trimming is you can always take off more but it is quite hard to put back what you have removed.

Cut each limb twice. They are quite heavy and when sawing thru they will at some point break and the bark on the underside will peal. That can injure the tree. Make a shallow cut from the bottom up about a foot from the trunk then cut the limb off from the top right above the first cut. Then make a second cut closer to the trunk after the weight is gone about half inch is what I do.

As to how high to go that is up to what you want to see. I like them high enough to be able to walk under unless I want the tree for privacy to block the view.

And if you don't want to have to do this often, look up apical dominance.

Mr. Miyagi was not a fan of apical dominance.

You might want to consider pachysandra or some other ground cover for underneath the tree. First, as Bud said, the grass will be sad there. And second, you won't have to mow, so you won't be banging your head on the branches. It's hard for me to guess the height of the tree from the picture, how tall is it? Removing ten feet of branches from a twenty foot tall tree might not be desirable.

You might want to consider pachysandra or some other ground cover for underneath the tree. First, as Bud said, the grass will be sad there. And second, you won't have to mow, so you won't be banging your head on the branches. It's hard for me to guess the height of the tree from the picture, how tall is it? Removing ten feet of branches from a twenty foot tall tree might not be desirable.

10 fences high
3ft fence tree 30ft
42" fence tree 35ft
4 ft fence tree 40ft

so somewhere between 27 and 43 ft.

Well you don't have to do all the trimming in one shot. Take off the bottom branches and step back to see your handiwork. You will know when it looks right.

Oh yeah, and get a can of pruning sealer before you begin. it is a spray that you apply to the wound (hopefully any wound will be to the tree) to prevent insect attack and moisture loss from the tree.

Latest posts

Back