Adding HVAC in LA area

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tempwork

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been looking around this forum and some others as well, and I hope I find some knowledgeable advice here. I just purchased a home w/o AC and with floor furnace. so we want to update all of it because it can get super hot and mildly chilly. The house is about 1200sq. How big of a/c and heating unit should I look for? Also, disregarding location, how expensive can it get to get this project completed? I'm pretty handy, but I think this job will be over my head to finish properly.

Thanks in advance!
J :)

Welcome TempWork:
I was looking at eBay yesterday and found several A/C and furnace sets for sale on there. One of the sellers even offers technical support (sizing and instalation instructions). These are pre-charged units and can be assembled by an uncertified installer. You don't have to fool with the refrigerant so that makes it legal under federal law. I don't know about your local codes but you could check that out, or bootleg it in. Just don't leave any boxes setting outside for the inspector to see.
It is often possible to set the furnace in a central location, install a plenum with outlets on every side and get reasonable circulation. You will also need a seperate electrical circut to the outside unit with a disconnect at the condenser location.
Also look at the heat pumps while you're on eBay; that may do a great job in your location.
Glenn

The house is about 1200sq. How big of a/c and heating unit should I look for?

Minumum of 2-Tons.

Also, disregarding location, how expensive can it get to get this project completed?

That depends on how fat your wallet already is; approx. $3-5K

Latest posts

Back