Diswasher Dranage Plumbing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1victorianfarmhouse

Established Member
Reaction score
I occasionally like to run dishes through a dishwasher for better sanitation and some pans/racks clean better in it.

My kitchen is too small to stuff a dishwasher in place of a cabinet. I do have room in the basement laundry room, where the dishwasher would be back to back with the washing machine.

I have both hot and cold water there, and connecting these is no problem. But I'm curious about how the drain needs to be set up. The washing machine drains through an "upside down U" into a floor drain. Does the dishwasher need to drain through a similar setup? Searching Google and YouTube doesn't clearly answer this.

Thanks!

vince

Perhaps you could work a why into a the washer drain much like they do under the sink in the kitchen. The dishwasher drain will want a fairly high loop in it.

Thanks, Neal. That is exactly why I was wondering about. My plans were to build a properly vented "tower" for all the drain lines to go into rather than just run them into an open floor drain. I'll be able to build a nice y setup for both the washing machine and future dishwasher.

vince

Latest posts

Back