How to fill in large cinder block opening (former adjoining well) pics

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gidaeon

Reaction score
The pictures will do most of the talking. So I have a decommissioned shallow well inside my basement (its technically a tiny room off the side of the basement). I want to wall it off to seal up so I can put fill dirt on outside. Basically I need to fill in cinder block in this approx. 39"w 51"h section.

Can someone offer some tips? I have tiling that was installed inside the basement wrapping around all the walls. You will see where water goes through by the rusted lintel plate.

I was thinking of drilling holes in the conrete down to dirt below (there is tiling inside the basement I had added. I planned to use 2" bricks so the 2nd row is starting at the right distance off the floor.

the cinder blocks are 8x12x16 is that not standard? I can't find them at my local homedepot.

My block size is actually 15 1/2 x 11 5/8 x 7 5/8. Is this a standard size block at a supply house?

Your block work won’t have to hold any weight there is a steel header. You just need to plug the hole and 8” block will be fine for that. Measure the opening and figure out the sizes you will need and if they don’t have that size you will have to cut a block. Figure on half inch per joint.

Back