Paint Bubbled...Help!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McNab

Reaction score
Hi there, I am painting my kitchen walls and I thought the first coat was dry so I started the second coat and when I looked back the paint was bubbled some little and some larger, quite a few of them. How can I fix this??? I don't want to have to start completely over again. This is the second colour already as the first one didn't workout.
Thanks!

This is always a nightmare when this happens. I have had to face this several times in my painting career. Most often it is when a painting contractor before me does the prep work meaning fixing holes, priming, and sanding and then doesn't clean the dust properly from the wall. So even if you painted too soon, the bubbling may have happened anyway. The bubbling can be caused by air pockets forming under the paint. Wallpaper adhesive not removed properly can also cause paint to bubble. I am not sure what the case is with you and why your paint has bubbled, but you will need to scrape off the areas of paint that have bubbled and start over.

But be warned, it may still bubble if the walls have not been properly prepped. Keep us posted on how everything turns out!

Debra - That Painter Lady

Debra - Your response is right on! Likely poor prep. Could also have been grease, he said it was a kitchen. Scrape all loose paint. Clean, sand, clean, prime repairs and bare stuff. Paint.

Thank you for your help! I guess I am just curious on the best way to get the latex off of the wall now? It sort of peels off being latex, but I don't want to ruin the wall either. Would there be a paint thinner or something like that we could use to help get it off?

Thanks again,
Pam

Back