strange light dimming after insulation work

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CA_noob

Reaction score
I recently hired an energy efficiency retrofitting company to do some work on my house, which included sealing the house, replacing/sealing furnace ducts and blowing in new insulation to the attic. The insulation was done last, while we were out of town for a few days, and since returning we've noticed a periodic and very short dimming of the overhead lights in our house that was not there before.

We've always had some amount of dimming when certain high draw appliances or devices turn on, which I think is fairly normal, but this is different and more frequent. Also, while I have no measurements to confirm I'd swear that it happens less or not at all after the lights have been on for a couple hours.

It's entirely possible that this coincidentally just started happening after the insulation work is done, but the timing is very suspicious. Unfortunately, my knowledge of home electrical systems is limited at best, so I'm at a loss to think of what the insulation contractor could have done to cause this. Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

that would even cause other other non recessed lights to dim as well?

Lights dimming when something is running is never normal. That tells me that's it's an older house with not a high enough incoming currant, not having a modern, at least 200 amp main panel, or someone did not wire circuts correctly.
If you have recessed lighting they should have been IC (in contact) rated.
There's a sticker inside the fixture if you remove the bulb and the trim ring.
If not the cirucut breaker inside the fixture it tripping because of over heating.

Sorry Joe I have to disagree, plug in a 12 amp heater on the same line with a 100 watt light and watch it dim. If you don't notice the dim just turn off the heater and watch the light perk up.

Lights dimming when something is running is never normal. That tells me that's it's an older house with not a high enough incoming currant, not having a modern, at least 200 amp main panel, or someone did not wire circuts correctly.
Sorry, I fully disagree with this as well.
Dimming lights under a heavy load is perfectly normal.

Lights strongly flickering bright and dim is NOT normal.

Back