After ceiling fan installation no lights in kitchen and balcony

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lubo

Reaction score
Today I installed a new ceiling fan.When I removed the old one there were 2 hot wires and one neutral.One of the hot wires was going through the double switch and was only hot when the switch was on.After reading the instructions for the new ceiling fan I discovered that I need only one hot and one neutral wire plus the ground attached to the base of mounting bracket. I decided to use the hot wire going through the switch and leave the other one alone.Now after I finished the installation my ceiling fan is working,but in my kitchen the light is acting very weird.When I turn on the switch it lights up for a brief moment and then dims.The switch that controls the fan and the kitchen it is a double switch.The kitchen light is LED light.Also the light on my balcony is not working at all,but it is controlled by separate switch.I checked the brakers,but they're ok.
Your suggestions will be appreciated.What I'm doing wrong?

Tell us all the wire connections is all the boxes you have worked on.

The only thing I disconnected was my old ceiling fan.Nothing else. Unfortunately I don't remember how it was connected.One of the receptacles in the living room, where the tv is plugged in also has no power

So your old fan also had a light that was operated by the switch and the fan was operated by the chains?

Yes.The light was operated by the switch.And in order to use the fan I had to turn on the light and then power on the fan with the chains. As soon I turned off the switch light and fan we're off.

Last edited:
This is the thing I don't remember.When I removed the old ceiling fan I wasn't paying attention how the wires were connected. As far as color I'm not sure,but that wire is no black.

The only reason you would have two wires like you thought you would be if each wire had a switch, one for light, one for fan. Pull the fan down and tell us what colours you have wire to what. and look for one more wire in the box.

Since it is already dark,I will do that tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
This is what I have in the box.One blue wire-Hot thru switch,2 yellow wires,one of them always hot,the other I used as neutral for my installation.As soon I connected this two wires, I got the lights in the kitchen and TV working again.Now my question is how to connect my new ceiling light with fan,
since it needs neutral wire which I don't have any more.
Thanks

Sounds like you have conduit. Where is the original white neutral wire? You can pull a new white wire with conduit.

Turn off or unplug everything that is running when you have this hooked up and check to see if the yellow wire is still live.

I think,that I figured out what was happening. The yellow wires were neutral.Once I connected them the tester didn't show warning.
Thanks for your help.

Back