Best way to cut 45 degree end joints

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think using a table saw set on 45 and a jig like I made for small box pieces is far safer than a router. What am I missing?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

A mitre saw and a table saw are made for making thru cuts.A router is not.IMHO it would be the worst tool for the job

That's what I thought. Thanks.

nope, done it a thousand times. I got the reccomendation from a article in "Fine Woodworking Magazine"

Thanks but I will stick to my table saw a small parts sled I made. I like my fingers too much. I love my router table but not for miter cuts.

It's done by using wood wider than the total height of the box. make your rabbet for the bottom (and top, if you need to cut the box for a matching top ), route the 45's on the end grain, then cut it to the size you need ( the largest dimension ) and route that 45, rip the piece to size and glue
the 45 degree router bit is dead on and all cuts are absolute accurate
If you want the grain vertical, it's even easier
I wish I could post a video to show how easy it is, but my explaination will have to suffice

I forgot to mention that end grain glue joints are weaker than #### so, you'll have to reinforce the joint with whatever method you choose

It is a different way to do it... but it does work well.
If this is what you are talking about.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbJszKqyfBA[/ame]

Some people do everything they can with the router, others not so much. It come down to what ever you feel is working for you and you can do it safely.

I have a lock miter bit but never use it because it is a bear to get it right. I use a regular 45 deg. bit and reinforce the joint with a tiny (tooth pick ) that disappears when the box is sanded , stained , and finished. On the larger boxes, I reinforce with either biscuits or dowels both hidden
The only reason I use the router for small boxes is that a spinning 10 inch saw blade for small work scares me for both kick back and /or amputation

I have a lock miter bit but never use it because it is a bear to get it right. I use a regular 45 deg. bit and reinforce the joint with a tiny (tooth pick ) that disappears when the box is sanded , stained , and finished. On the larger boxes, I reinforce with either biscuits or dowels both hidden
The only reason I use the router for small boxes is that a spinning 10 inch saw blade for small work scares me for both kick back and /or amputation

But that is why you have so many spare fingers.:rofl:

"The only reason I use the router for small boxes is that a spinning 10 inch saw blade for small work scares me for both kick back and /or amputation"

This is exactly why I use the sled I made. Works perfectly. Extremely safe. Different strokes for different folks they say.

Elbo - I would actually love to see a video of you doing this. I think I would have a hard time getting the four lengths right

Sorry, no videos, but,
If you have a problem with getting the lengths right, try this:
glue several boards together, the length you need side by side, or 1 wide board with a sacrificial board on both sides, cut your 45's across the end grains, then rip the width you need.
You can do this with either a table saw, radial arm , or router

Back