Broken cord repair

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedwards47

Reaction score
Hi there I'm quite new to this and not quite sure if this is the forum that is right for my question, so admins please delete if it isn't. Recently my dog has found a taste for power cords and has proceeded to chew through an extension cord, a drop saw lead, a belt sander lead, a bar fridge lean amongst other cords. Rather than throw all these things away or pay someone else to fix them I was wondering if there's any way that I would be able to solder or join the two ends of the lead back together in a safe and functional way? If anyone has tips as to how to do this they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jack

Don't try to re join them, you can buy new ends or replacement cord. And maybe a replacement dog.:hide:

There are dozens of methods people use and instead of listing them all I would suggest a search on the internet on “ splicing power cords”. I did that just now and saw several approaches I liked. Soldering and insulating is one option and crimp on connections is another I would recommend. I would also recommend staggering the joints of the two or three wires you are splicing and using shrink tubing first over each wire and then a larger one over the whole repair.

You need to solve the problem before you request help on burial arrangements for your pet as well. I have a friend who’s cat learned the hard way and paid the ultimate price for chewing a power cord.

Welcome to the forum.

Like and want to keep the dog?
If so buy a muzzle or you'll have a dead dog at some point.

maybe even a dead "YOU" if you try to free the dog from the hot wire

With above. Best advice I could recommend is simply buying new ends or replacement cord. Also either spray your cords with some repellent to keep your dog away or muzzle him otherwise he will not have a nice ending eventually. Or could you put protective casing around them? Worried more for your dog than your electrics.

Latest posts

Back