Wiring question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeremyB

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Kind of a question that is related to my other problem but it might be a usefula standalone question

I thought the previous homeowner was using electrical tape to tape wires together but it appears when cutting away the tape that he did use the nuts but also taped them over? Is that common?

Also when installing a new switch is it common to put a piece of electrical tape over the sides covering the wiring terminals? maybe to prevent anything rubbing against it?

Supposedly it's the sign of a handyman doing the work, instead of an electrician.

I don't see any harm in doing it and it takes little tape and little time. Just wrap the tape in the correct direction so the tape tension doesn't try to unscrew the Wirenut over time.

When removing untaped receptacles from metal boxes I put a piece of cardboard in the space to prevent causing new problems in the house, but it's a good way to test breakers. :D

Last edited:
but there is no harm in putting a piece of electrical tape over the wire terminals? just to prevent something that may run against it?

There is no harm in what has been done. While taping wire nuts is done less frequently, taping the lugs on switches and outlets remains a common practice for some especially if being mounted into a metal box.

I agree with the tape around the terminals. Some pros do both some don't. Now if the taped wire nuts are not in a J box or device box you have a violation and a guaranty that pro did not do the work.

Back