Wanting to Finish Basement.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kotah

Reaction score
I need to waterproof my basement so I can finish it with living space, just wondering if I should have a moisture barrier added to exterior of the foundation which is underground. If so what type of company would I call to do this service.

Thanks.

Welcome Kotah,

where does the water get into your basement? does it seep up from the floor? or come in through the walls? and how good is your drainage outside (gutters, slope away from house, etc)? depending on where your leak is will decide what you need to do. pictures are always helpful around here, that way we can see what your dealing with
Justin

The water comes in where the floor and wall meet. The backyard slopes straight towards the house. The gutters were cleaned and the leaking stop pretty much unless it really rains hard.

pictures would be really helpful now, is there anyway you can get the water to slope away from the house? this could be the bulk of your problem. I would call a concrete contractor who installs basements, and ask him what options you have for either sealing the exterior or installing a drainage system at the base of your foundation.

When I worked for a concrete contractor we had these 2x6 looking plastic tubes with slots on one side, we used this to frame the footing for the walls, installing pipe that went to the inside and drained into a sump pump pit. you may need some sort of drainage like this.
Justin

Exterior drainage first, exterior watermembrane second. There are water barrier systems, but tar has worked for a long time on the exterior.

Treat from the inside as a last resort with a basement systems product, which just diverts the water which is already in there.

Paint does nothing except peel and cost$$$

What type of company installs a water membrane, What do I look under in the phone book?
Thanks

pictures would be really helpful now, is there anyway you can get the water to slope away from the house? this could be the bulk of your problem. I would call a concrete contractor who installs basements, and ask him what options you have for either sealing the exterior or installing a drainage system at the base of your foundation.

When I worked for a concrete contractor we had these 2x6 looking plastic tubes with slots on one side, we used this to frame the footing for the walls, installing pipe that went to the inside and drained into a sump pump pit. you may need some sort of drainage like this.
Justin

This is bang on. First things first. Build up the exterior grade around your house to a minimum of 1/4" per foot (ABSOLUTE minimum), and THEN worry about maybe installing the pipe (weeping tile) and a sump pump.

Without doing the grade, you're basically treating the symptom rather than solving the problem.

Greg

unless your house is really old, chances are you already have all the recommended exterior waterproofing. Don't be surprised if after digging out your foundations you pull out a clogged drain tile and/or a deteriorated waterproofing membrane.

As you can see... they are not working. They are not handling the hydrostatic pressure.
Therefore, you've got two choices. You can go ahead, have someone come, dig around your foundations, re-install the French drain and re-apply the membrane (or, do it for the first time if your house has none) and probably have to do it again later on because French drains clog.

Or, you can have a perimeter drainage system installed along the interior basement walls, diverting the water to a sump pump system, that can be installed quickly, without ruining your yard, serviced as needed without disrupting your life, and will allow you to finish your basement just as well.

Whatever you choose, please make sure you pick a good specialized foundation waterproofing contractor, ask for references (and check them), check their reputation with the local BBB, make sure there is a decent warranty for both products and services.
A hint: pick someone who's been in business for a number of years, because that indicates a higher probability that he will be around for the long run, to honor the warranty.
(What good it is to give you a 100 years warranty if they are going out of business in 2, right?)

Well those are my thoughts... hope it helps.
Here's some additional info:
http://ezinearticles.com/?French-Drain-Innovations---Out-With-The-Old,-In-With-The-New&id=1148913

Back