DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > Repairing loosen flagstone joint cracks – Polymeric Sand VS Mortar VS Envirobond?

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:48 PM  
phil_edwards123
Default Repairing loosen flagstone joint cracks – Polymeric Sand VS Mortar VS Envirobond?

Recently seeing cracks in the flagstone joints and the stones are starting to loosen up.

I would like to repair the joint cracks before they all fall apart. How can I tell what kind of original joint material was it? I noticed a few ant sand hills amongst the cracks and so I figured it was polymeric sand.

Do I need to remove all the old existing joints before putting new joints? Or can I just patch up the cracks by putting another layer on top of it?

And what’s the best material for this kind of repair? Polymeric sand? Mortar? Cement? Or Envirobond?

I’ll pose a couple of pics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	a1.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	12078   Click image for larger version

Name:	a2.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	12080   Click image for larger version

Name:	a3.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	12081   Click image for larger version

Name:	a4.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	12082   Click image for larger version

Name:	a5.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	12083  

Old 07-25-2016, 07:53 PM  
slownsteady
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1160 Times on 962 Posts
Likes Given: 1905

Looks like the slate was laid in cement. The pix aren't close enough for me to pick up any detail about sand. Polymeric sand is not intended to be used under the stone. It is not a substitute for a bond. It is best used in between pavers instead of traditional sand. probably not applicable to anything I see in the pix.