Tiling a Shower Shelf/Cubby

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwhoolboom

Reaction score
I'm a little torn on how to tile this area. Do the grout lines go on the outside of the box (on the wall)? Or do I run the wall tiles over the cubby tiles and have the grout lines inside the box?

Hope this makes sense...

normal_2_00002.jpg

Grout lines inside box. Looks better. I would do a diagonal pattern on the inside of the back of the box, just for fun.:D

Also a boarder tile at the roof and wall seam will look good.
Have fun with it..you went this far.:)

Thanks for the input inspectorD!

Yeah I think I will get creative with it...I was going to use the floor tiles to do the back of the box...

Thanks for the input inspectorD!

Yeah I think I will get creative with it...I was going to use the floor tiles to do the back of the box...

I did another one today with a hatband liner running through the box, I have to get pics of that one next week.

ang6.jpg

Just what I was thinking, only the grout line is outside with tile so you do not see the unfinished edge.:eek:
With natural stone I like to hide it and keep it inside.:D
Jmho.

Just what I was thinking, only the grout line is outside with tile so you do not see the unfinished edge.:eek:
With natural stone I like to hide it and keep it inside.:D
Jmho.

I try to keep the tile over lapped so water always runs over the edge, grout lines in a box scare me a bit so the less the better (btw...thats a bullnose, its finished). I found a nice blade for the wet saw that finishes the edges the same as a bullnose for only $140 ! Thats a nice look also when dealing with stone ;)

Back