My driveway sucks!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ledhead

Reaction score
So, I have a really bad driveway. It's semi gravel, mostly dirt, ruts and even exposed bedrock in some places. When I bought this house it was already in very poor condition, but I wasn't overly concerned because I drive a 4x4 truck. Well, now I've been bitten by the motorcycle bug, and even with almost no riding experience I know there is no way a street bike can handle this drive without destroying the bike or myself. It's a long and mostly uphill drive, and paving is not currently an option (I don't have an extra $20k sitting around)...

So any ideas or pointers on how I might be able to get my driveway back to a decent enough condition that I could get a bike up and down it safely? I've already rented a bobcat twice and re-graveled it, but it drains so poorly most of my efforts have been in vain.

Thanks

sounds like you need some one who does dirt work professionally to come take a look at the problem and help you assess how to get the drainage done properly. Another idea would be to rent a road grader and use it to cut and move dirt as necessary. a picture or two may help us give you better advice.
Justin

Recently I helped a friend who had a similar situation.

We borrowed an old BobCat Skid Steer, graded the driveway and added several truck loads of gravel. It looks pretty good now and is a whole lot more drivable. As hondadrv24 stated considering drainage is very important.

Back