Blurry swimming pool water

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katherine2

Reaction score
I have recently used "Sparkle-Up" by Bioguard, in conjunction with "Pool Magnet" to remove any trace metals from my pool water. Since this treatment, I have been trying to clear the water with very little success. There are many many white flakes floating in the water that just won't seem to filter out. It truly looks like a snow-globe. They just float around suspended in the water. It is as if they are simply not heavy enough to sink to the bottom and get into the drain.

Is patience the only answer, or is there something else I can do to get these white flakes out of the water?

I would try a healthy does of a drop out product and if it settles out, vacuum to waste. What was the condition before you did the latest treatment.

Is this an above ground or in ground pool? What type of filter do you have? There are three basic types. Sand, Cartridge and DE.

Do you have any idea what these white flakes are?

I would try a healthy does of a drop out product and if it settles out, vacuum to waste. What was the condition before you did the latest treatment.

I tried to do this but when you scoop the white flakes it breaks so you really can't take them off. I just recently noticed this so I guess the previous treatment was okay.

Is this an above ground or in ground pool? What type of filter do you have? There are three basic types. Sand, Cartridge and DE.

Do you have any idea what these white flakes are?

I have cartridge type and an in ground pool. I'm totally clueless about these flakes. First time to see them, been trying to research though.

To me, white flakes would water hardness that has stuck to the walls of the pool. Maybe this chemical knocked them loose. I've had several pools but never had that problem before and I've always been on a well with hard water.

A cartridge filter should take them out eventually. They have to make their way to the skimmer sooner of later. And the main drain isn't where the water goes, it goes to the skimmer generally unless you have what they call Valet's. Those are the sprinkler type popups that push the stuff on the bottom toward the main drain.

Google " Swimming Pool Flocculant " You can get this stuff at any swimming pool supply store, not at a big box place

alum is the major ingredient in the flocculant but I'm not sure how much is needed per 1000 gallons of water

Been having the same problem. I think I'm going to have to try what you guys suggests.

I just want to give you guys an update on this. As everyone advised, the pool professionals suggested I get a clarifying agent. I do not have the same problem now. Thank you for all your inputs.

Special thanks goes to Elbo. You might want to check them out Wendy at http://poolsafe.com/ hope it helps.

Back