Shed Framing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supershine

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm about to build a 9' x 10' shed. I've poured a concrete slab with j-bolts, but I have a question.

The slab was poured with a 1/2 inch slope from back to front. How do I frame it properly with a sloping base and keep everything square and level?

Do I build square walls, raise them into place and shim the bottom towards the front, or do I build the walls in place with the stud towards the front 1/2 inch longer than the one towards the back.

I would love to hear any ideas people have.

Thanks!

Welcome to the site.
We never pre-build a wll that is being bolted down although we see lots of people do. It is far easier to stick frame it and that is bolt down the bottom plate, cut another plate exactly the same length and lay out for studs on both, nail the studs to the bottom plate and from a ladder lay the top plate across the studs and nail down into the studs. Add another plate on top of that so the corners overlap for strength.

Now for your slope. The trick is to pull a level line front to back and if the front stud is full length measure how much to cut off of all other studs so the top plates are level when you are done.
We do this even when the concrete is supposed to be level because there is always dips and humps.
You can buy a string level for about $2 at any box store or lumber yard.

You must be building in a flood zone. It's the only reason I can see for bolting a 9x10 shed to a slab. That being said, build your foundation, attach your decking to it then shim it level. Get the plastic shims which won't rot.
Build your walls, one at a time on the deck, sheath them before standing as it makes it easier to square the framing with the factory edges of the ply. Pre-build your roof trusses.

Thanks for the advice.

I pre-built the back and front walls on the ground and then raised them in place and then I built the side walls in place. This made it easier to get the right lengths for the studs on the sloping foundation.

Thanks again!

Back