Mold, moisture, beams cracking....

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We have a cabin in the woods, the place has no power, we bring a generator to have lights and fans when we are there 1-2 weekends a month. (Getting power is not an option) it was built on a crawl space that is incredibly damp. I noticed the mold smell when we first looked at the place, the previous owners said we had a lifetime warranty on the mold removal, which it turns out is untrue, because the problem, no moisture barrier, was never addressed. The current issue is the wood beams are rotting and cracking. We have been brainstorming and the only seemingly logical way to attack the problem is to fill the crawl space with 4 feet of gravel and 1 foot cement. We would have to cut out the floor and install supports for the stairs and 2 walls, so we could fill it directly in. Is this crazy? Is there a better way?
Any help would be appreciated!
Amherst

Welcome to the site. That may be the answer but we don't have enough information yet.
Like, what kind of foundation do you have?
Can you post photos of the beams?

Most houses are built with the floor sitting on the foundation, the joists around the outside are rim joists. Is that how your cabin is built and what condition is the rim in?
Do you have extra posts in the middle of the house holding up floors or?

Yes, the floor is sitting on the exterior foundation. The rim is in good shape, and yes there are extra posts in the middle holding the floors up, my husband and father in law just replaced 2 posts this weekend, where the floors got really bad.

It might be a big job to change a few beams and joists but nothing compared to changing it to a slab floor.
If the posts in the crawspace support the roof they will need to be re-done with concrete to a concrete footing which may or may not be there.
You will have to decide to lower the floor to the hight of the foundation or remove the rim and run the slab under the wall. Either way you have to stabilize the building so it stays in place while you remove the floor.
Whether you repair the floor or replace it the moisture still has to addressed. That requires a perimeter drain near the depth of the footings on the outside.
BTW A slab is usually only 3.5" thick and the fill beneath needs to be compacted.

Ok. So that was my husbands plan....my plan was or install new joists and beams, plastic the floor, and run a dehumidifier that I'd have to install a solar panel to keep running. Does that seem viable?

Do you have a photo of outside the building showing the grade to the land etc. You basically have two different problems to take care of. First is the damage to the building and secondly is getting the crawl space dried out or at least stopping the moisture from entering the underside of the building.

I gather the building is unheated 95% of the time. What is the climate where it is located?

I agree with Neal the fill and slab approach would be a really big job.

While the planning and deciding is going on. deal with moisture first, plan out a perimeter drain open more vent holes to dry it out,

I was not prepared to get this much input, this is the best outside photo I've got, I'll take more of everything this weekend.

image.jpg

i think we'd 1st make necessary masonry & structural repairs then encapsulate the crawl space w/impermeable fabric ( stego comes to mind [ no $ interest ] ),,, obviously you'll also need to address water IF its leaking into the crawl space,,, solar may best power a fresh air exchanger rather than a dehumidifier to me - good luck !

Latest posts

Back