From Rigid PVC to Hose

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archena

Reaction score
I'm designing a pet cage that has a drain. Initially, I need to use hose for the drainage (the drain itself and the pipe from it to the exterior will be rigid PVC - I don't have to disassemble them when I move), but I'm not sure about the best way to attach it. The little nozzles the home improvement store has look like a clog waiting to happen (because little bowels aren't always regular).

Any ideas?

Try mounting a toilet flange from the bottom.

The pipe diameter should be a consideration, and the bends that it has to make.
To be clear; are you going from rigid PVC at the cage to hose somewhere in the run?

look like a clog waiting to happen
Any ideas?
If you're going from large ID pipe to small ID pipe then maybe a small effluent or sludge or sewage pump will help. Depending on the consistency, a pond pump may even work.
There's no penalty except financial for oversizing the pump.

Sensing when the pump needs to turn on is a little more complicated so you may want to run it on a timer.

Work it all out on paper before you spend a dime. I've heard this forum will do a
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_review

Last edited:
The pipe diameter should be a consideration, and the bends that it has to make.
To be clear; are you going from rigid PVC at the cage to hose somewhere in the run?

Pipe will be 1 1/4 inch.

Yes, the drain, flange and initial run will be rigid PVC and the remaining run will be hose (for now - once I have a permanent place I'll probably shift over to an all rigid drain).

Here's the basic idea (showing the cage bottom, flange and initial run along with the unconnected hose):
Cage%20drain.png

If you're going from large ID pipe to small ID pipe then maybe a small effluent or sludge or sewage pump will help. Depending on the consistency, a pond pump may even work.
There's no penalty except financial for oversizing the pump.

Sensing when the pump needs to turn on is a little more complicated so you may want to run it on a timer.

Work it all out on paper before you spend a dime. I've heard this forum will do a
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_review

I wasn't planning on going from a large to small pipe - the problem is the nozzle connectors make a much smaller opening than either the pipe or the hose so I was hoping to come up with a better connection.

But I will keep this in mind - thanks!

With the right keywords you may succeed with an online patent search to see what general problems had to be overcome by people who had this idea before you.

New word for me...but i could have guessed. As long as it's not a cat house, I suppose it's ok.

If you have a row of cages, you could run a main line underneath them all and tee in each cage.
Do you need to run the works into a septic or your homes waste line? If you have enough cages, i think you would need to.

"In the United States, there are two main cat registries - the Cat Fanciers Association (CFA) and The International Cat Association (TICA) [1] which establish standards for member breeders. These cat registries also award certificates for catteries that have been inspected for healthy environments. Additionally, many U.S. States and municipalities, along with the Federal government, provide some regulations of breeding catteries."

I guess you need to know the weekly 'output' for each cat before you can size the plumbing. The more cats you have, the more likely the total output will correspond to Web averages, if you can find such a thing.:hide:

New word for me...but i could have guessed. As long as it's not a cat house, I suppose it's ok.

If you have a row of cages, you could run a main line underneath them all and tee in each cage.
Do you need to run the works into a septic or your homes waste line? If you have enough cages, i think you would need to.

Initially, we're doing this the old fashioned way - but it beats changing paper. When I move, I'll hire a real plumber to tie it in to the septic system - with a clean out for emergencies.

"In the United States, there are two main cat registries - the Cat Fanciers Association (CFA) and The International Cat Association (TICA) [1] which establish standards for member breeders. These cat registries also award certificates for catteries that have been inspected for healthy environments. Additionally, many U.S. States and municipalities, along with the Federal government, provide some regulations of breeding catteries."

I guess you need to know the weekly 'output' for each cat before you can size the plumbing. The more cats you have, the more likely the total output will correspond to Web averages, if you can find such a thing.:hide:

Actually, an average sized, healthy, adult cat drinks about 6 to 8 oz a day and produces probably half of that in urine so the system should be oversized for the expected flow (a sick cat can produce quite a bit more and er, messier fluids, if you get my drift). I'm mostly concerned about the inevitable particulate clogging the nozzle connectors.

drinks about 6 to 8 oz a day and produces probably half of that in urine

I'm mostly concerned about the inevitable particulate clogging the nozzle connectors.
And the difference lost by respiration and transpiration.

A water pump on a 10 second timer a few times/day may solve clogging problems. It's sort of an auto flush. People need 100 gals per person per day so a cat who doesn't shower or do laundry may get by with much less. :D

Last edited:
Pipe will be 1 1/4 inch.

Yes, the drain, flange and initial run will be rigid PVC and the remaining run will be hose (for now - once I have a permanent place I'll probably shift over to an all rigid drain).

I recently did something similar, using an old bicycle innertube for the
hose, stretched over the PVC..

Traditionally (and logically) waste pipes get bigger in diameter as they move away from the source. To avoid a bottleneck, why can't you go to a larger diameter hose?

Traditionally (and logically) waste pipes get bigger in diameter as they move away from the source. To avoid a bottleneck, why can't you go to a larger diameter hose?

Mostly because I can't find a connector that goes from smaller to bigger like that.

The connection is the problem.

Latest posts

Back