Basement Finishing "System"

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slownsteady

Reaction score
I spent some time talking to an Owens Corning Sales rep who wants to sell me a basement "finishing system". They have these manufactured panels of standard-looking fiberglass insulation covered with polyolefin (not sure of spelling) woven fabric. It looks kind of like office partitions - like cubicle walls. It is recommended for exterior basement walls. The guy claims that since the whole panel is breathable that mold & moisture will not be problem and that there is no organic material to become mold food.

I know that a lot of you folks say not to use fiberglass on a basement wall, but does this wall system make any sense?:confused:

those basement systems have been around for a few years. they seem to hold up pretty well.
The issues with fiberglass is that it traps organic debrie. Like dust, pet hair , human skin particles, food kicked up when you vacumn.
The science behind it is just that basic. however to finish the coctail for mold , you need water. So these panels with a dehumidifier in the summer should work ok.
The alternative is foam walls, steel studs and cement board walls.
Nothing is perfect for basements, except painting the concrete walls every few years.Then you can see everything.
Hope that helps.;)

I have one of these systems in my house and its great. Easy to clean and really sound resistant. We were able to save thousands by using Basement Living Systems. Get A Basement The system is improved over the OC one and a lot less money. Worth checking them out. Good Luck

Back