I want to add switches to three outlets that are tied together

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bvz

Reaction score
I have three outlets on the same circuit. Currently they are wired in series where the line hops from one outlet to the next, as does the neutral and the ground.

I want to have each outlet switched separately. I *think* I can simply rewire the line side (the hot side) so that each receptacle gets its own line from the switch, but I want to make sure. My biggest concern is leaving the ground and the neutrals all still tied together as they are. That said, they all tie together downstream (on the other side of the switches) so it shouldn't be any different, right?

I am including an image of what I have and what I want to do. I would really appreciate it if anyone who knows more than I do (most of you it appears) could chime in. Thanks!

photostream

plugs copy.jpg

Last edited:
The drawing will work. However unless your house is wired with conduit it is not practical to do it that way since cables have two wires in them. Cables to the receptacles should run direct from the switch box to each receptacle and not through the other receptacles.

The drawing will work. However unless your house is wired with conduit it is not practical to do it that way since cables have two wires in them. Cables to the receptacles should run direct from the switch box to each receptacle and not through the other receptacles.

Actually, this isn't in a wall but rather in a long metal "power strip"... the kind where you have 9 single outlets in a row (but no surge protector). I want each bank of three outlets to be switched separately so I opened the back, added two hot lines as described in the diagram, and ran these lines back to the opening on the end where they all combine in a 20 cubic inch single gang box with a 3x switch in it.

That should still be ok, right?

Back