DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > General Chit-Chat > Building Drag Race Cars?

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:46 AM  
Admin
Default Building Drag Race Cars?

Wondering if any of you have ever been around or have done building Drag Race cars?

I ask as I grew up around my Dad building cars. First was a C modified sports out of an old 1934 (I believe it was the correct year). He started in Fort Walton Beach Fl and later in Huntsville AL. I remember the car parts on the car port and then the A frame swing set with a pulley set up where he would pull an engine to build. If I remember correctly he used a Chevy engine where he would get new boring and valves and such.

The last car he built was from the ground up, and was an A Modified Sports. It was mostly in a roadster configuration, but had an older car hood for the back of it, and a Pink Pig was painted there, as he called the car "Pink Pig". That car would get money for just showing up at the Huntsville area Drag strip. 1/4 mile. And a lot of red dirt.

Did you grow up around Drag racing, or have you done it? I'd love to hear your stories.

Angie

Old 04-04-2016, 11:35 AM  
oldognewtrick

Didn't get into strip racing, use to do a lil street racing. When I was young and dumb I use to do some 1/4 mile on the water with an outboard drag boat. 100 on the water feels like 300 on asphalt.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:38 PM  
havasu
Garage Junkie
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

As soon as I get a raise moderating, I want to buy a few race cars. I'm not holding my breath though.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:02 PM  
oldognewtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
As soon as I get a raise moderating, I want to buy a few race cars. I'm not holding my breath though.
You haven't got yours, shucks, mine come every year. 😉

Old 04-05-2016, 07:43 AM  
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
Will send a message asking where you are on the list.

In the meantime, if you know of a junk yard you could start accumulating tires and springs to start building the frame for one race car!

Old 04-05-2016, 07:43 AM  
Rusty
Flooring installer
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Back in the late 70s, I drove a Falcon on the strip a few times. My "stock" 6 cyl would beat stock Chevy V8s.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:44 AM  
Rusty
Flooring installer
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Did a little round-track racing on a 1/4 mile dirt too.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:40 AM  
havasu
Garage Junkie
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin View Post
Will send a message asking where you are on the list.

In the meantime, if you know of a junk yard you could start accumulating tires and springs to start building the frame for one race car!
I had to do this exact thing when I was rebuilding Keith's personal jet. Have you ever replaced the milk carton with a real pilot seat?

Old 04-05-2016, 09:44 AM  
Admin

Man, rebuilding Keith's personal jet. I've not put a real chair where the milk carton was. You are some mechanic!

Rusty, Dad use to take us to the circle track some also, and we'd go down to the pit area. I remember the gummy feeling of the asphalt after the races were done.
I liked to see the demolition races. As an adult, those races remind me of what would be neat to do to some drivers during a "rush" hour.

Angie

Old 04-06-2016, 12:00 PM  
Rusty
Flooring installer
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin View Post
Man, rebuilding Keith's personal jet. I've not put a real chair where the milk carton was. You are some mechanic!

Rusty, Dad use to take us to the circle track some also, and we'd go down to the pit area. I remember the gummy feeling of the asphalt after the races were done.
I liked to see the demolition races. As an adult, those races remind me of what would be neat to do to some drivers during a "rush" hour.

Angie
We circle-raced on dirt.
Wonder if the drag racers still cheat? We would bore out the cylinders and mill the heads. They looked completely stock from the outside.