Cabinet Question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstout84

Reaction score
Hey all,
Just bought our first house and we are going to replace some old formica countertops and I want to put some base cabinets beneath the new countertops rather than have it freefloating on a desk :( like the previous owners. I was hoping to match the new cabinet doors to the existing ones rather than replace every cabinet door, but I've never seen anything like this and was wondering if anyone else has or had any insight into how I might go about matching. They seem to be slab doors with some type of design glued onto the front??

Thanks!
Dan

IMAG0270.jpg

IMAG0271.jpg

Welcome to the site. This can be done with some jigging up a router to make the shape and then apply it to a slab door.
Do you have a router and have you used it much, if not this would be good job to learn on.
How thick is the main part of the door and how thick is the overlay?

You might be able to take an existing door to a cabinet maker and have him fab one up for you.

Door is 7/16 of an inch thick and the onlay is 1/8 of an inch thick. I think this might be a great time to get my hands dirty and learn how to use a router. I will use kok328s suggestion of taking it to a cabinet maker as my bailout if I fail miserably. Appreciate the suggestions.

Last edited:
40 years ago the jig they used for that was not available to the public, now you see them at garage sales from time to time. For one or two doors it's quicker to build a jig than set up the factory made one.
If you look at the lower picture you will see that there two reliefs on the onlay. I would bet that it is 3/8" thick. I think if you only have a couple doors a sheet of 1/2" mdf would be enough to build the jigs and the doors. If it dosn't work you're out $20 and you have experience with the router.

If you don't want to try to make the doors yourself... Maybe Keystone Wood Specialties will make it for you. The will do as little as one door for you. I would suggest e-mailing them pictures.

Gary
www.nhkitchens.com

Back