painting ceiling with non white color

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gghrt000

Reaction score
I an painting the bathroom walls with light blue color which I got an idea from pic. If I paint the ceiling with the same color do you think t is gonna loom inferior?. Most ceiling I have seen is mostly white despite wall color however if I have to paint with white that is going to be a whole lot of work.

Try it blue and if you don't like it, think about re-painting white or a few shades lighter.

Many new designers will add a 25% of the wall tint color to a white ceiling paint, which gives it a nice, non-white color.

There are no rules. Give it a try and see what you think it’s just paint. I painted my ceiling in my home theater flat black a couple months ago, that’s as far from white as you can get.

Initially it looked much more stronger and darker than other rooms I painted and I kinda felt bad about it initially. However I put the lighting and mirror and some other hardwares it is actually looking much better now. I attached the picture below but trust me it looks much better and lighter than pics. In the pics the color looks much deeper and blue. Bottom line is I dont think I am regretting at all. I thought about repainting with lighter colors but I am glad I did not.

I notice the counter top does not mix well with the paint color so I am thinking later on to re-do the counter top with onyx granite counter top paint.

Will be re-doing the bathtub and its tiles too.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ole...harcoal-Large-Countertop-Kit-258285/202828575

PHOTO_20140209_215010.jpg

PHOTO_20140209_215033.jpg

PHOTO_20140209_215052.jpg

Last edited:
Looks nice to me and as long as you like it that’s really all that matters.

I like ceilings different colors than white. Try a lighter shade of the wall color always turn out nice in my opinion!

We painted our son's bedroom ceiling with the same paint we used on his trim/baseboards (even a semi-gloss - gasp!). It was mid-day mocha color and I think it turned out beautiful. I've learned to not try and follow the norm when fixing up our house because something always gets in the way of that - usually the budget!

Strictly a matter of personal preference.
Mine is flat white on the ceiling.
I work in a building where budget was tight so they painted the ceiling the same color as the walls to save labor cost on cutting in the ceiling/walls.
I painted the ceilings flat white and everyone loves them (maybe just because it's different and they were tired of seeing the same thing everyday) and it makes the room look bigger.
Paint is not permanent, go for it and decide afterwards.

Paint your ceiling pure white and any color you put on the walls will match

Back