Furniture Touchup Disaster

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxHomeowner

Reaction score
Over time I used some type of poly stain wtin clear top coat on my entertainment center. While sanding one area I used duck tape to protect the good finish. When I removed the duct tape off came the poly stain and coat. Now it is all a mess. My question. What product can I use to remove the poly stain with clear coat without stripping the entire original finish?

Thank you

The original color(finish) did not come off. Here is a photo. The top piece of wood was added. You can tell it is different wood by the horizontal dividing line. The lighter color on the original wood is the original finish. The darker color on the lower area is the added on finish. That is the finish I want to remove. Hope I am making sense.

image.jpg

Last edited:
My instinct is that it would look better - certainly more consistent - to sand down and refinish. But I understand that means doing the entire piece. if you can get any color to match the existing, it will require patience, lots of testing, and even more luck.

Thank you. Recall the added on finish that was just laying on the original finish was removed with duck tape. Once again, is there any way to remove that added on finish with some chemical product without (1) damaging the original finish and (2) without sanding? Would paint thinner work?

The added on finish is limited to the front of the cabinet. I hope to take off the added on finish that has not penetrated the original finish. If I can do that then the front will be back to its original color and match the back and sides.

You said that, have you tried leaving it on for the same amount of time as the stuff that did the damage.

The added on finish is in areas where duct tape cannot be put.

After that sand with a light sand paper ti that whole board looks the same, sand a few spots on the back too so you can test a finish for a match. AND do not use duct tape for masking tape.

Back