Built-in dehumidifier Aprilaire 1710a

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brasilmom

Reaction score
Greetings,

We completed our basement repairs and are now looking for options for a dehumidifier. The plumber that worked with us mentioned the built-in Aprilaire 1710a dehumidifier as we have an opening that will probably work perfectly for that.
so, I want to know if anyone here has such an unit and what you can tell me about it. The area the unit would be installed is about 1,500sf and we believe that the unit would suffice.
Any input is deeply appreciated. Be well
Miriam

It's kind of expensive.
Unless your tech has done measurements and calculations you could get a smaller, cheaper one and try it out.
You could add another if it turns out to be inadequate and you may still make out better pricewise.
If the one you get never runs all the time it's oversized and so you are losing efficiency.

I noticed the price tag and did not like it. The opening was already there and honestly I am yet to measure to verify even if this unit would fit in there. I like the idea of an unit that is built in, so I do not have anything sitting in the middle of the floor. I appreciate your input and I will measure the space in order to determine my options.
Be well
Miriam

It probably needs free air space around it to fully dehumidify the room it's in, otherwise it may just dehumidify the enclosure it's in.

This

"When water vapor content increases in the moist air the amount of Oxygen and Nitrogen decreases per unit volume and the density decreases because the mass is decreasing.

Dry air is more dense that humid air!"

implies that you could mount the thing, properly supported and with a drain line, out of the way up near the ceiling. Since personal safety is involved, the supports should withstand 10x or more the weight of the unit.

Last edited:
It probably needs free air space around it to fully dehumidify the room it's in, otherwise it may just dehumidify the enclosure it's in.

I see. I measure the enclosure and it is 20h x 20w x 24d. It appears to be the exact size for that unit, which would leave no space around the unit. The face of the unit would be towards the open room, but perhaps the opening itself is too tight for that. Do you know of other brands that manufacture units to use as buit-in?
Thanks for the input. Be well
Miriam

[ame]http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=%22built+in+dehumidifier%22&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8[/ame]

Fifth one down (Haier)?

You know, if you can beg, borrow, rent or steal a dehumidifier you can set it to a comfortable level for wintertime humidity and write down how many pints in how many hours you collected.

This is approximately your necessary capacity for your room square feet and conditions.

Then you search Nextag or some such service for prices at this or greater capacities.

You'll have an average price, a range of prices that half of them cost and a range that almost covers all units.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back