Hot Water Irregularities

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

00naomi00

Reaction score
My hot water in my master bath is very inconsistent. Some days, the hot water is so hot I can't touch it, other days, it runs cold very quickly. This happens when filling up my tub. We have a 50 gallon water heater, installed with the home, so it's about 10 years old. Anyone have any idea what might be going on? Thank you!

What kind of tub filler valve do you have?

If some one else is running hot water you could expect your water to be cooler.
If someone flushes a toilet you could expect your water to be hotter.

If some one else is running hot water you could expect your water to be cooler.
If someone flushes a toilet you could expect your water to be hotter.

No one is running additional or flushing toilets.

Without knowing the exact tank you have and how it works gas electric etc. My only suggestion to what has been mentioned above would be the device that regulates the temp. could be getting wonky and stopping the heat cycle prematurely some time. Say you had your temp on the tank set to 150 degrees and when the cold water replacing the hot got to 140 the heater would kick on and heat the water till it reached 150 and shut off. If it was sticking and sometimes would cut out and not start heating till 90 and then stop at 100. Other days it overshoots and goes to 180.

Does the sink do the same thing? It is the tank or the tub. If it is the tank it is the temp control circuit. If it is the tub it is the mixing valve.

Last edited:
Without knowing the exact tank you have and how it works gas electric etc. My only suggestion to what has been mentioned above would be the device that regulates the temp. could be getting wonky and stopping the heat cycle prematurely some time. Say you had your temp on the tank set to 150 degrees and when the cold water replacing the hot got to 140 the heater would kick on and heat the water till it reached 150 and shut off. If it was sticking and sometimes would cut out and not start heating till 90 and then stop at 100. Other days it overshoots and goes to 180.

Exactly, and as well if the tub filler has an internal temp. regulator, the type of and brand of the valve is important, and could as well be the point of failure.

Is the problem only in your master bathroom?
Is it only at the tub/shower or is it at the sinks as well?
What type of water heater do you have? Gas, Oil, Electric, Solar?

Back