Beam and Joist plan

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadmoon27

Reaction score
I need some help with a project. I'm not sure where was the best place to put this. If there is a better place please let me know.

I'm in a landscape construction class. We have to build the beam joist layout for a deck. I'm completely new to all this and need help with a few things. I've included a picture that shows a simple picture of the deck. we are given the deck limits and post placement. We have to figure out where to place beams and then in turn where to place joists. The deck is a Western Front deck. The beams are running up and down, perpendicular from the house (yellow and magenta lines).

The first question I have is when placing the beams on this deck, do you put them on top of the beams on center ( the ends being on center or flush with the outside of beam) or do you place them alongside the beams so that the tops of both are level. Or is there another option.

The next question I have is to find the joist span, do I use the green line, blue line or the combination.

Thank you for any help.

The beams are usually knotched into the post. The post are 6x6's. The beams are nailed together to form 1 piece. Cut the top of the 6x6's so they are flush to the top of the beam. The joist run perpendicular to the beams, I always frame the joist 12" o.c..
www.thedeckbaarn.com

Latest posts

Back