What should I do with this wire?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavieGravy

Established Member
Reaction score
I found this in my garage after taring some walls down. It looks like someone ran an electrical cable from the attic (spliced off the kitchen lights) to some electrical outlets on the wall to the right. What would be the best way to deal with this to make it up to code and safe? I'd like to maintain power to the outlets if possible. Thanks in advance.

pic.jpg

Kill power to the wire.
Disconnect the shorter of the two ends from whatever their attached to.
Cut out a path in the drywall.
Drill holes in the wall studs to route the wire thru.
Reconnect the wire to whatever you disconnected it from.
Turn power back on.
Patch up the drywall.
This is exactly what the previous person was trying to avoid having to do.

put a junction box where you splice them back that is accesible from the room. (code) then you can make that box whatever you want. it can simply be a cover or sometimes i put a smoke detector at where i need a jb. if the wires you splice are not hot all the time, put a battery smoke detector there. if they are hot you could make it a plug or light fixture. you might possibly drop a switch leg straight down from the jb mentioned and have a switchable light at the door. lots of things you can do with a problem like that. once heard that an obstacle is nothing more than an oppurtunity in disguise. thanks, buddy

If it is a pain to get to either end, just set a skill saw to cut 3/4 inch into studs, and cut a path from a to b that is 1 inch wide then staple wire to back of notches and put a metal nail plate over them. This may be easier and is very legal. Good luck...

Back