water in the basement

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron Kappes

Reaction score
We own a 1930's tudor home. Several years ago we had the basement professionally remodeled. The previous owners had installed vinyl tiles on the floor and we installed wall-to-wall carpeting over the tiles. Over the years the house has been repointed, new gutters and leaders installed, etc., etc. Recently, we noticed a small wet spot which has become larger over time, about 3 feet from the front basement wall. We've had intermittent problems with water, always related to rain or in one case, a soaker hose mistakenly left on all night but the leaking always stopped after the rain stopped. However, this is the 1st time that it is leaking continuously. Speaking to neighbors in the area, we have been told that water is a common basement problem on this block. It is also known that there are underground springs in the area. BTW: we live halfway up a hill so we're not sure what affect springs would have. I never heard of a spring running up 1 side of a hill & down the other; but, who knows? We had a well-recommended professional company come to assess the problem and they suggested a "French drain." Unfortunately, they want to dig a drainage ditch around the inside perimeter & install a pump, which would require tearing down the wallboard and removing the baseboard water heating. It would all be replaced when the job was finished. The whole job would be very expensive. Are there less costly, even stop gap, solutions? Any ideas appreciated.

Since you have an older home, settlement around the house can be ruled out.

However, drainage around an old home can change and increase the amount of water around the house. Due to decomposition of materials, the soil level cam also raise up slightly in that active zone a few feet out. Rootgrowth, dead root and leaves can slow runoff and give water a longer time to soak into the soil and into a basement.

Take a hard look at the area around your home (not just the wet wall). Make sure there is a clean, positve drainage for all surface water. If necessary, improve the runoff. Check all downsout extensions to make sure they are connected and long enough. If necessary install downspout extensions at least 10' long with pop-up bubblers that carry the water to an area with better drainage.

I do not understand this "inside of the perimeter walls". all I have ever seen up here is on the outside to carry the excess water away from the house before it has a chance to get to the inside of the house. Your drain system consists of a 4" perforated pipe, drain rock, 4" solid PVC pipe tied into your gutter drains, more drain rock, landscape fabric( slows down the water and helps keep the dirt from clogging up the rock) and then what ever you decide on to top it off with. Also they direct the trench with the drains away from the house into a pit. When redoing this they clean the foundation and footing a reseal before putting in all of this while they have excess to the foundation.

Daryl -

The interior system is very similar to the outside system (perforated drain pipe and a rock leading to a sump or daylight drainage).

Because it is at or below the footing level it collects water from the ground and the water that goes under the footings before it can get in into the basement. It also reduces water from slab cracks. - Good for a redo if you cannote get around the house. Some quality builders do both inside and outside in new construction because ot is so chep then.

You can never get a permanent 100% exterior seal when you are dealing with Mother Nature and soils so you just get rid of what you can wherever you can for a long term solution. - Even pools (inside out basement) leak, but no one really notices until it gets real bad.

The interior system is very similar to the outside system (perforated drain pipe and a rock leading to a sump or daylight drainage).

Because it is at or below the footing level it collects water from the ground and the water that goes under the footings before it can get in into the basement. It also reduces water from slab cracks. - Good for a redo if you cannote get around the house. Some quality builders do both inside and outside in new construction because ot is so chep then.
Well thats very interesting and makes a lot of sence "thanks" I learned something today:p

You can never get a permanent 100% exterior seal when you are dealing with Mother Nature and soils so you just get rid of what you can wherever you can for a long term solution. - Even pools (inside out basement) leak, but no one really notices until it gets real bad.
Yah I definatly agree with this

Yea what he said...
Darryl usually when you have a sump pump in the basement area it is connected to interior drains which are not connected to the exterior drains....got all that.;)

You have seen it before you just need to think about it .:D

Yea what he said...
Darryl usually when you have a sump pump in the basement area it is connected to interior drains which are not connected to the exterior drains....got all that.;)

You have seen it before you just need to think about it .:D

Yah got it all and again yah after I thought about it for a while a said to myself DAHHHHH wake up Daryl:p

I guess Putting in a drain even and just below the footing on the out side is out of the question?

Back